Painter of the mystical, otherworldly, sensual, and whimsical.

I'm a painter living and working in the beautiful finger-lakes region of Western New York State. I am also an avid gardener and nature lover, so the lush green rolling hills, gentle streams, and majestic lakes that surround my home in this world often appear in the fantasy worlds of my paintings.

Many of the pieces draw inspiration from folk tales, myths and legends. These "teaching tales" were what drew us together around our hearth-fires for centuries, and I believe those stories still carry power.

I enjoy looking at these ancient tales, through my eyes, and painting what I see, no matter if it's beautiful or disturbing. But what's more fun is when others can see those same paintings and find something within of value that speaks to their soul directly. I do not plan for this, but am honored when it happens, and, oh, yes, do love hearing about it every time that it happens. It reminds me that maybe we are not so different after all.

Glad to meet you, and please enjoy the paintings!

Wednesday, October 19, 2011

"Holly King Oak King" now available for order as cards, prints, and other schwag

Above: "Holly King Oak King" by Portia St. Luke

"On every world, wherever people are, in the deepest part of the winter, at the exact mid-point, everybody stops and turns and hugs. As if to say, "Well done. Well done, everyone! We're halfway out of the dark." Back on Earth we call this Christmas. Or the Winter Solstice..." 
Kazran Sardick, Dr. Who, "A Christmas Carol,"(11th Doctor, Matt Smith) 

Every year, I've been asked to come up with a cover for the December issue of one of the publications I've worked for. Now, I was raised very English and very Protestant, so I was pretty well indundated with the traditional yuletide images that follow. However, ancient Europe has a deep, rich history of traditions for celebrating the Solstice, or, as was so elegantly put in Dr. Who, that day when everybody joins together and says, "Well done. Well done, everyone! We're halfway out of the dark."

In so doing, I always challenge myself to look at things a little differently. I've done the Green Man (another Blackfox Winner), Charity, Mother and child (not specifically "the Madonna," but it's the closest I've come), and there's one on the drawing board fo Hades, Persephone and Demeter that's still fighting me. Friends and fans have pointed out the obvious: put together, this has evolved into a set.

I hear you, and I appreciate that kind of love. So, I'm uploading those pieces so that they'll be available as cards. Once they're uploaded, it's pretty easy to turn them into posters, high-end prints on canvas, or t-shirts and other schwag.

First piece, then, in the "Halfway out of the Dark" series: "Holly King, Oak King," available as both displayable art and collectible schwag from LaMagnifica.

No comments:

Post a Comment